Preparing to Attend
Placement and Advisory Exams
You may be required to take placement exams before registering for classes. For example, if you intend to take mathematics in your first quarter, and have not yet taken college-level math classes equivalent to UCR’s Math 5 or higher with a grade of C- or better, you will need to take the Math Placement Exam. For more information, please check with your department’s academic advisor or your college’s Student Academic Affairs Office.
For general questions about placement examinations for foreign language courses, please contact Dawn Whelchel at (951) 827-1421 or email@example.com.
The Pre-Orientation Tutorial provides helpful tips about getting the classes you want and registering online. We strongly recommend this tutorial, because UCR’s online course registration system will be different than anything you have used in the past.
Monday, August 28 (BCOE, CHASS, CNAS, SoBA)
Tuesday, August 29 (BCOE, CHASS, SoBA)
Wednesday, August 30 (BCOE, CHASS, SoBA)
Thursday, August 31 (CHASS)
What to Bring
Because Orientation involves a substantial amount of walking, we recommend wearing casual clothes and comfortable shoes for your confirmed session. Just be sure to also bring the following:
- Your UCR Student Identification Number (SID#) – This 9-digit number can be found on your MyUCR account.
- IMPORTANT: Bring a government-issued photo identification. Examples include, but are not limited to, a driver's license, state ID or driver's permit.”
- An unofficial copy of all of your college transcripts (Please note that you are required to send your official transcripts to Undergraduate Admissions by July 1. This will streamline academic advising as well as the course selection and registration process.)
- Notepad and pen/pencil
- The Highlander Orientation for Transfers brochure and any other UCR materials that may inspire questions
- Water bottle filled with water or your favorite sports drink
- Spending money for the Campus Store
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and/or a hat
What is Provided
- Continental breakfast and lunch
- Water stations
- Handouts and resource guides
- Free parking