What UCR Parents Are Saying About Highlander Orientation
- "After one day at UCR, I feel like everyone really cares about our kids and wants them to do well. There is help available everywhere. I'm very impressed."
- "I was not expecting the effort and care that everyone expressed. Their devotion to making the college experience as successful and enjoyable as possible was evident in every presentation."
- "Family Orientation made us feel very comfortable about sending our son to UCR. Everybody was very informative, polite, gracious and ready to help. Orientation really made the true meaning of personal touch."
- "Orientation was excellent. Thanks for making this experience [the student's transition into college] easier for parents. It shows that the entire administration takes a caring attitude."
Highlander Orientation for Families
Congratulations and welcome!
UC Riverside recognizes the important role families play in the success of UCR students. We also understand that families are not unique to just parents. So whether you are a parent, guardian, grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling, partner, spouse or supporter, we welcome you to the Highlander Family!
It is also our pleasure to invite you to the Highlander Family Orientation.
The Highlander Family Orientation is a two-day comprehensive program designed to help family members become familiar with campus resources, policies and procedures. It also helps family members better understand what first-year UCR students will face during their time at the University. They will have the opportunity to hear from, meet and interact with faculty members, campus administrators, staff and student leaders.
Although the Student and Family Orientation sessions run on the same weekend, they are two separate programs. However, there will be times during the day to reunite and catch up on the day's events.
A Highlander Family Orientation sample schedule offers an idea of the related activities.
- Both Orientations will start with Check-In from 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. on Day 1. Student Orientation ends at 5:30 p.m. on Day 2.
We also have a one-day Spanish Language Family Orientation. Check-In begins at 7:30 a.m.
The cost to attend is $50 per person.
Highlander Orientation includes a required overnight stay in our residence halls. Students will be assigned a suite and roommates in the Pentland Hills Residence Hall.
- While family members and guests cannot stay in the residence hall with their student, on-campus family lodging is available at the Glen Mor Campus Apartments for a separate fee.
Your student will receive Highlander Orientation information in the mail.
We recommend discussing Orientation options with your student before registering online.
Space in each Highlander Orientation session is limited, so please register early.
You can register for both the Student and the Family Orientation on the same website.
Once you have registered, a confirmation card will be mailed to your student.
On-site registration on the day of Orientation cannot be accommodated.
- Highlander Family Orientation is $65 per person and includes three meals and all program materials.
- The Spanish Language Family Orientation is $50 per person.
- Although Family Orientation is designed for adults, we understand that there may be a need to bring children. Infants 0-3 years of age are granted free admission. Children between the ages of 4-15 will be charged $25 per person.
- The deadline to register is June 10th.
- Failure to notify us of a change or cancellation at least 10 business days before your assigned Orientation will result in the loss of refund eligibility. For more information regarding our policies, please visit Fees & Payments.