The Call of Duty (2021)
- Serve as an Orientation Leader for all scheduled Student Orientations and Family Orientation sessions- whether these sessions are being delivered remotely or in person.
- Assist with the set-up, registration, execution and follow-up of each program.
- Provide virtual ice breakers and a welcoming environment for UCR's incoming first-year students. Coordinate assigned students to appropriate functions.
- Maintain a positive working attitude and serve as a positive UCR representative when interacting with all Orientation attendees.
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible and to react positively under pressure.
- Assist with trouble-shooting and problem solving as challenges arise during the program.
- Ensure the success of specific portions of the program by assisting with the development and facilitation of assigned programs, serving on panels, etc.
- Serve as a campus leader, role model and University employee-including conducting yourself in accordance with all University Policies & Procedures at all times.
- If possible, provide translation (verbal and/or written) in other languages.
- Assist with the evaluation and wrap-up of the Orientation program including making recommendations for next year’s program.
Timeframe of Work Responsibilities
Spring: OL Training every Thursday in Spring quarter from 5–8 p.m. (mandatory)
- Summer Training: Exact dates are still tentative and will be updated. Tentative dates are June 28–July 7, 2021.
- Sessions: Freshman Orientation exact session dates are still tentative and will be updated. Responsible for working from the morning meeting (Day 1) through wrap up (Day 2) on a schedule as determined by your supervisor, plus additional responsibilities as needed. Tentative Dates are July 8–August 17.
- Sessions: Transfer Orientation exact session dates are still tentative and will be updated. Responsible for working from the morning meeting through wrap up meeting on a schedule as determined by your supervisors, plus additional responsibilities as needed. Tentative dates are August 30–September 10.
Requirements for Employment
- Must be a full-time UCR student at the time of application.
- Must have an activated UCR R'mail account.
- Must be in good academic standing with a minimum quarterly and cumulative GPA of 2.5 and maintaining it through the duration of employment.
- Must be in good standing with UCR’s Student Conduct and Academic Integrity Programs and Housing, Dining, and Residential Services.
- Must be able to successfully pass an agency background check.
- Applications for 2021 Orientation Leaders will be available on Handshake on November 4, 2020. Students with work study are also encouraged to apply. The job posting on Handshake will direct you to a Highlander Link form; you must complete this form in order to apply for the Orientation position. Remember that a minimum cumulative AND quarterly GPA of 2.5 is required.
- Applicants will be notified if they are selected for an interview.
- If selected for an interview, you will be contacted to sign up for an individual and group interview. Interviews will take place in January.
- Orientation Leader selection will be announced in February.
- Time worked will be paid an hourly rate of $14.00 an hour plus overtime.
- Students are able to use work-study compensation to cover work hours taking place during the spring quarter.
Applications for 2021 Orientation Leaders are available
Highlander Orientation takes place during Summer Session I and II.
If you have any questions about employment as a Highlander Orientation Leader, please contact (951) 827-2789 or email@example.com.
How can you find out more?
Please attend one of our online Information Sessions for prospective Orientation Leaders listed below! All online Information Sessions can be accessed at https://tinyurl.com/OLInfoSessions2021.
- Monday, Nov. 9, 3–4pm
- Thursday, Nov. 12, 4–5pm
- Tuesday, Nov. 17, 5–6pm
- Wednesday, Nov. 18, 12–1pm
For questions about accessibility or to request an accommodation, please contact orientation at (951) 827-2789 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should be made at least 2 weeks prior to the event so the University has sufficient time to arrange reasonable accommodations.